Caravan mains power wiring is a little different from other installations, classified as a “transportable” means it comes under its own AS/NZS Standard 3001. This includes RVs, motorhomes, campers and tiny houses if they are on a trailer and if they are to have mains wiring installed. Some of the usual requirements are as follows:

  • The inlet (male plug that connects the power lead to the caravan) should be wired directly to an RCD, replacing a main switch
  • All mains wiring must be separate and isolated from the 12 volt DC wiring
  • The wiring must be 7-stranded
  • Wiring must be protected where it passes through the chassis
  • Wiring must be separated from any polystyrene insulation
  • The chassis must be earthed
  • The maximum resistance from the earth pin of the supply lead plug to any part of the chassis = 0.5 ohms

There are also requirements regarding how the transportable is plugged into the supply via its supply lead:

  • Minimum supply lead length for caravan parks is 10 metres (no minimum elsewhere), we stock a wide range of leads & also manufacture custom leads
  • As a guide supply lead maximum length (1.5mm flexible cable) should be 25 metres, but as short as manageable is always better
  • The wall socket supplying the transportable must be individually RCD and overload protected and must have an isolating switch adjacent to the socket